September 11, 2012

A day of Remembrance

It was comparable to Pearl Harbor.

On this day 11 years ago, I was working at DFW Airport. On my way in, I heard on the radio that a small plane had hit a skyscraper in NYC. I was not too alarmed. When I arrived to my desk, everyone was in the break room at the TV. Live, we witnessed the second plane fly into the World Trade Center.


Things went crazy from there. The air space over DFW was shut down and we were released to go home. When I called my elderly mother, she asked "is this another Pearl Harbor"?
She had lived through that and suddenly I had a whole new respect for that experience.
That night at the supper table, John and I with our 4 high school age children, discussed our "emergency plan". With talk of chemical warfare and more terrorist attacks, like alot of families, we were talking about what we would do. If all phone lines were busy and we were unable to connect with each other, our plan was to make our separate ways to the ranch. There we could be completely sustainable. Water, food and space. Thank goodness, that plan was never implemented. But for a long time, we all lived in a certain amount of fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of no control.
So much has changed since then. Some good, some bad. But one thing is for sure, just like Pearl Harbor, we learned alot and we all came together and are stronger. Family and Country.
I stand proud to be an American.
  And thank those who responded with such valor.
    My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones 11 years ago       today in such a devastating manner.
    As I am learning more and more, SOMEDAY, we will understand the events in our lives.
            As for me and for right now....I bow my head.

2 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Good post...it is good to have a plan. Still might need one, one day!

I will never forget either!

Deanna

Pam said...

It was so nice to have you visit my blog. I am delighted to vista yours; I can see I am going to enjoy browsing through.

It is hard to believe that eleven years have gone by since 9/11, it feels like only a couple of years ago. We have talked about emergency plans very much like yours. Its not a bad idea to do again.

Many Blessings,

Pam