What a beautiful time of year. The fields are getting greener and wild flowers are beginning to appear. My vegetable garden is taking shape and the pond is full.
Saturday we had an adventure. First we went to an "estate auction". It was just down the road and John was up for something new. He had never been to one. I was a little disappointed, not much stuff worth anything, but it was fun hearing the auctioneer. From there we went to town. First stop...Dollar General. Out favorite store! Hey, in a small town you have to be happy with what you can get.
Next to the nursery for seed. Then to another one of my favorite spots during planing season- The organic herb house. It is actually a house....on main street. Nobody lives there but there are plants all out front and you pay by the "honor system". Do you remember that? It is still alive and well in very rare instances. There is a price list on the wall and a box to place your money. They have awesome plants. My favorite, or most important is dill. I use alot when I begin canning pickles.
Just down the road is the livestock auction. It begins every Saturday at 12N. We happened by at just the right time, so for the first time, we stopped in. It was alot smaller than I imagined. After you pass the sign in window, you enter the auditorium type seating with chutes up front.The air is full of the smell of cattle...if you know what I mean. As you look on, the cattle enter through a door and are stopped by a gate. While the auctioneer does his thing the cattle are in that area. Then they open the gate and they pass to the next section then on to a third where they are weighed if needed. It was all very interesting. Pricing by the cow or by the pound. Everything from young calves to huge bulls. This was the first of the month so the place was packed. Mostly men but a few women. Lots of boots and cowboy hats. We asked questions and people where eager to help. It was very interesting.
After about 1 hour there, we moved on to our next stop. The feed store...a little further down the road. After doing our business and talking for a bit, we headed home.
Oh, I forgot to mention we had a treat before the livestock auction. Small towns in Texas all have one thing in common-Dairy Queen. There is nothing like a sweet treat on a Saturday afternoon.
I had one of the best days in a long time. An adventure with the man I love. We laughed and held hands. What a blessing on such a blessed weekend.
Happy Easter Everyone.
I hope you enjoy the beauty God gives and hold the hand of someone you love.
1 comment:
Dear dear JMB,
You commented on my blog some time ago and I have meant to say hello many a time.
Alas, real life assails me and I am trying to keep my head above water in the deluge!
It's a good chaos around here, but very real;-)
I'm tickled that you visit and enjoy my blog and my family. The Lord has truly blessed me and I am trying not to take this precious season of joy and ease for granted!
Religion is nothing apart from knowing God through Jesus Christ.
He is Rescuer of the lost and a Healer of the broken hearted.
Those who seek Him find Him!
On another note, I picked up a copy of Mother Earth News today so we can get a subscription. AJ and I have enjoyed perusing that magazine here and there along the way, but there's some really great reading and fun ideas in there! I can't wait to receive it regularly.
We are totally off the grid in Idaho, and are getting in a composting toilet, and some gas lighting. It has been and continues to be a very fun experiment! Garden this year too... Can't wait to get up there so I can get my hands in the dirt!
Thanks again friend, for you kind words,
Analene
Post a Comment