May 6, 2012

Time to Garden





After planning and working hard, Murphy Ranch vegetable garden for 2012 is on it way. This is my 2nd year to "container garden". After an article in "Mother Earth News" I decided to give it a try. My first year in the containers, combined with the drought did not turn out that well. I also had alot of personal stress last season. I am looking forward to a much better year. So far-so good. With the wonderful Spring rains, the blackberry bush seems to be doing very well so far. The honeysuckle and roses are producing too.

I find gardening a little therapeutic. I enjoy listening to the sounds of the country and just being in the outdoors. I tend to think and reflect as I hold the water hose or put my hands in the dirt. Some say I got a green thumb from my maternal grandmother. However she preferred flower gardens. So I always include flowers as I garden. It seems to give me even more satisfaction. Every year I wonder how my vegetables will go and how many jars of pickles I will end up with. Like everything in life, it is unknown. I just plant them, tend them, and see what mother nature blesses me with...and read alot of Mother Earth for advice. So the gardening as begun.
Have you put anything in the ground this year?
         Give it a try.

4 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We actually have a big garden but it is being eaten by grass! We need to weed it big time!

Lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, sugar snap peas, beans, corn, squash, onions...herbs....

It will definitely keep us busy!

Deanna

Brenda said...

Deanna, I know exactly what you mean about the grass and weeds. I put about 6 inches of cedar mulch down this year. It seems to be wor!king so far. Killing off the grass and then I can keep up with the strays that poke through. Find a place close to you that sells in bulk and you can get a good deal on a truck load of mulch. Good luck and happy gardening!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was young, we had a huge vegetable garden. It had to feed our family of 7 kids. The work that went into that garden wasn't appreciated by me, and I certainly didn't see the work as therapeutic. Now I wish I had more time to be in the garden - it does something and there is such a sense of calm in the garden. Hope your garden yields you lots!
Maria

Brenda said...

Thanks Maria,I know what you mean about the sense of calm. That is a good description. I too hope for a high yield. I love to put up dill pickles!
Brenda