March 15, 2013

More babies

To my surprise, a young heifer had a calf. I have been expected the big black/white cow to calve any day, so I have keeping an eye on her. So when I got home and felt something was different, I noticed a precious new calf in a low area of the ranch. I saw the young heifer near and thought, "what is she doing so close to the calf"? Where is the momma? Then I realize, SHE is the momma. Incredible how these animals handle everything alone. I am so grateful for their Independence and self sufficiency but it still amazes me. This new calf is a little bull.
 
And his young momma
 
 
I am keeping my eye on the older cow and wait to find another surprise. I hope and pray everything goes good....again. I never take for granted the miracle of birth.

Then there is the chickens! Again I thought I had a missing hen. For a few weeks I did not see her. I was still getting eggs from the hen house so I wasn't too worried. But to my surprise, the missing hen made her debut on a bright Sunday morning with 8 little chirping chicks! So very cute.


Life on a farm is full of surprises, work, happiness, sadness, excitement.....did I say work? ALL of this and more.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Oh my goodness, that little calf is so cute. How many cows do you have all together? How wonderful they are. And that Mama chicken going off and setting on those eggs and coming back like that... Wow! Isn't that something. Out here, the raccoons keep a close watch on any chicken that is accessible, so I know what a miracle it was for her to do that. Such a precious picture. Have a great week.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Oh.My.Word!

I am in love with that bull! He is so cute!

And the chickies of course. What breed are your chickens?

Spring is a delightful time for new life!

Deanna