January 28, 2010
My commute
My drive to work each day is so different from my previous life. For at least 16 years of my 21 year career with American, I drove 1 plus hours to go approximately 20 miles. Here, you can use the rule of "a mile a minute". Since I live 17 miles from Comanche High School, my commute is much shorter than before. There is never bumper to bumper traffic. I have one flashing light on my route. I pass fields that change with the seasons and the livestock/wildlife provides a reality show that changes every day. I pass the same 4 people (whom I do not know other than on the road) each morning and we waive. If you come upon a slower vehicle, they usually go over to the should for you to pass, then both waive as to gesture- thanks. This morning I saw something a little out of the usual. As I turned onto Hwy 36 (which is a 2 way black top with a shoulder) there was a tan truck stopped on the shoulder and a man looking under the hood. A red truck had just pulled over behind it and another was turning around to go back. Had the tan truck driver been alone, I would have stopped to lend what help I could give. Whether everyone knew each other or not, I have found that people stop to help each other out here. If you are late to work because of that, there is no negative response. It is expected that everyone help each other. What a great concept. This is one of the refreshing things country life has to offer. I realize not everyone will lend a hand and not everything is perfect, but for the most part these people-in this part of the country-seem to take it a little slower and take the time to be a neighbor. Maybe if all of us tried to that the world would be a little different...for the better. Do something for someone today, it will make your heart happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Post a Comment