July 15, 2010

Just when I thought there was nothing to write about...

When I got on the dirt road and was nearing our gate I saw something standing in the road. The closer I got, it became clear it was a cow. Oh no, IT IS MY COW. Well to be exact, it was our young bull. To make things really interesting, John was not home. My mind was reeling. What to do. I knew chasing it in the car would be wrong. I followed slow and he went to the gate just north of us. I pulled over and he went past me back to our gate. I guess he knew where he lived! My question was -how did he get out? I had locked the gate when I left for work, and it was still locked. One side has a cattle guard and the other doesn't. I didn't want to let him out of my sight. I remembered I had gotten a tub (big plastic tub that held mineral lick for livestock) from a co-worker and it was in my car! Yippeee I knew what to do. I opened both gates and drove through, got the tub out and acted like I had cubes in it for him. Sucker....he came right in! I quickly shut the gates! I did it. I got the little guy in all by myself and in record time, but it wasn't over. Where were the cows. We only have 2 right now but I did not see them. So I drove quickly to the house and got some cubes and stood by the pond shaking the can. All 3 came running. Thank goodness. All were accounted for. But how did that little bull get out? I got my fence mending tools(my hat too, it was very HOT in Texas today) and Sadie and I got on the 4wheeler to check the fence lines. I found a spot in the fence, right on the road that was missing fence hooks. I put new ones on, then rode the road to check for the bulls tracks to see if I could tell where he can out. I found tracks so I am pretty sure I fixed the right spot. I guess I will know tomorrow!


The little bull (Bullseye) is Maggie's calf from last year. We decided to keep him and have our own bull for breeding. He should be ready for business any time now.



Bulls are new for us, but we are learning....they like to get out! The cows, Spudz and Bluebell, could care less. It must be the testosterone! He is getting older and maybe he wants to check out the neighborhood! I hope this is not a constant occurrence.




Well, I got that all taken care of, then collected eggs. We have 4 hens, one rooster and 2 growing chicks (don't' know their sex yet). We are getting 4 eggs a day, so that is a 100% return! Next I gathered some tomatoes, squash and cucumbers from the garden. Oh, check out the spider that built a web today. I had to tear it down....with a stick and I threw it very fast! Fed the cats and my chores are done! John I miss you!










No comments: