February 5, 2012

54 Years Old - 1st Birthday

The day began with a bit of a pitty party but was soon changed to smiles as my children began to wish me happy birthday. It began with a smile from my oldest followed by phone calls and songs from my twins. All this was before I even left for work. Beautiful bouquets arrived at work to brighten my day even more. Singing email cards too. There should be no sadness. However, at the end of the day as I readied for bed I could not longer push the thought of John from consuming my thoughts. I got lost in the memories of birthday dinners, cakes with candles, songs, wishes and "the card". He ALWAYS found the perfect card. Usually brought tears to my eyes followed by a tender kiss.


Oh how I miss the kiss.


As I slipped into my empty bed, my feet still search for his feet. Now they only find cool crisp sheets. I got out of bed, went to my treasure drawer and found John's birthday card to me from last year. Yes, the tears ran down my check, but as the memories flooded my mind and soul-I could almost feel him, and I smiled.


I will forever carry him and the memories in my heart and
they will make me smile.

2 comments:

Cinnamon said...

Big happy birthday {{ hug }} dear friend.

You hang onto those cards, those memories, that love. It was given to you by John to fill you up and carry you through.

I love how your sweet family spoiled you throughout the day. How fun for you! Love your flowers and aren't those singing cards the funniest things?!

And YOU look beautiful!

~Cinnamon

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Happy birthday!

I am sure there will be many more moments of firsts. Your children are dear to call, and send flowers and gifts.

My husband is a great card giver too - he always finds a perfect one!

Glad you have kept yours!

Deanna