March 20, 2012

Surprise!!

Around 3 weeks ago, one our hens was missing. That left us with 3 hens and 1 rooster. I searched and found no evidence of an attack. No feathers - no nothing. Just a missing hen. Then about 1 week ago,as I was sitting at the computer desk (which overlooks a window to the front yard) there appeared the missing hen! I went outside to look at her and she was gone again. She never went to the coop at night and and I never saw her again.....till today.
Since it was raining this morning, I decided not to open the chicken coop before I left for work. So when I returned from work, I went straight to open the coop and let the chickens have some roaming time before dusk. I noticed a lot of chirping. It really sounded like baby chicks. I walked around the outside of the coop and on the other side - there in the brush was the missing hen! She was sitting low but I could tell something was under her. Then I realized it was what I thought it was....chicks. I was thinking maybe 3.
Take a look at the pictures....in order as I saw it.





I counted 16 chicks.....16 CHICKS!!!
I immediately wanted to run and tell John what I had found. Again I am reminded...no John.
For a while I felt that when John’s life ended, so did mine. I know that is
not true but “OUR” life was over. I am beginning to see and understand that “my” life will keep going. It is not over. One season of my life has ended and another is beginning.
Sometimes I feel so lost and without a direction. Just going day to day. Then things like today happen to restore my happiness in this country life that John and I built. It may seem so small but I feel God's hand in every amazing moment on this farm. We should all look around and see the miracle of God...every day. God is good and I am thankful for his mercy.

2 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

16 chicks! Wow! Will your coop hold them all or will you be passing them along? What a surprise!

I am glad you are finding your way - I thought it was neat how you expressed that your life together is over but that your life goes on....

Love that you are clinging to the Lord!

Deanna

Cinnamon said...

You are so right about looking around and seeing God's blessings.

It's often in the difficult times that we are pushed to see beyond what we normally see. To notice God's ever caring hand in our lives so intricately. How His guidance and presence is woven into our every breath.

Hurray for your new little baby chicks. A wonderful gift for your farm.


~hugs~ Cinnamon