March 28, 2012

Adventures of Yogi

The fence around the house is there to help keep things out.....and things in.
Playing grand-children, a wondering beagle, free range chickens and a BIG white dog!
While I am away at work all day, Yogi has been known to roam miles from home. So the fence is to keep her safe and give me a piece of mind. The "yard" is about 1 1/2 acres, so don't feel too sorry for her. There is still PLENTY of running space, things to get into and play with.
With the fence and gate in place, Yogi is going through training. STAY!


The first week, when I opened the gate in the morning to leave for work, she would bolt out and begin our (pre gate) game of racing to the corral. She usually won! Well, she cut through the creek and under the tree house! CHEATER!!!
I worked with her NOT to run through.
I felt horrible! She acted like I broke her heart! Like she was saying...WHAT, you're leaving and there is not race!
So I point my finger at her and say stay. She sits as I drive through. As I close the gate she begins to walk back to the porch, head hanging...glances back..then keeps walking. I yell to her-" You are such a good girl and I love you!"

I wonder what she is thinking. I have been told my heart is too soft for the farm. But, I did put up the fence and I am keeping her in the gate. I may be soft hearted, but I am firm and ultimately got my way. All are safe in the yard and I am off to work. Confident and satisfied.


1 comment:

Cinnamon said...

What a great friend to have with you on the farm. I think that's great that you were able to help her learn to not run. What peace of mind knowing she is safe at home.

Good job!

~Cinnamon