November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving at Murphy Ranch




I cooked for 2 days. My children helped. There was smiles and laughter, but something was missing. My honey. His strong hands were not there to prepare the turkey and keep me on task.

My father passed away when I was 23 years old

and I remember desperately wanting my family traditions to carry on.

With that thought in my heart, I was determined to carry on for my children....me too.

I stayed very busy and worked very hard to make sure everything came together.

Family and friends arrived.

The familiar food was served and it all went by so very quick.

I kept going back to last year's Thanksgiving dinner and thinking....who knew that was our last Thanksgiving with John. Would I have done anything different?

Would I have appreciated anything more?



Thanksgiving 2011 was our first without John.



But it was also our first with Brad's new wife and son.

With endings there are beginnings.

As the last child drove away, and I waved from the porch-the familiar silence returned.

This year it was even more silent.

But something was brought to my mind-rather than feel sad for the unwelcome changes,

I should remain thankful for the my many blessing.

Every night, I begin prayers with thanking my heavenly Father for my blessing.

I am most thankful for my family, friends, home and memories.

Change happens....no matter what.

These days my prayers include help to accept these changes and enjoy every day for what it is. We don't know tomorrow will bring.

We all know that.

Are you enjoying your blessing as if there may not be a Thanksgiving next year?


So I close with a tear on my cheek and a smile in my heart.....




1 comment:

Cinnamon said...

Brenda, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing your heart, even when it is aching.

I remember my last Christmas with my brother. Who knew it would be our last? He died 4 months later the very day my son was born. The very day!

Every year we are given a day to remember him and celebrate the life of our son.

You are right, remember the blessings.

hugs~ Cinnamon