
16 jars of dill pickles and 1 okra. The cucumber and okra plants are getting in gear and we will have much more to come.
I use an OLD recipe from my grandmother. For anybody who is interested in canning your own, it is very easy. 1 quart vinegar, 3 quarts water and 1 cup salt. Oh, there is a difference between table salt and canning salt. Believe me!
I grow heirloom pickling cucumbers. I have 3 beds with plants in each. This year 3 big dill plants will supply the star ingredient.

I pick all during week and store in the fridge, then pickle one day a week.
Bring the vinegar, salt and water to a boil. I set it up outside so the house won't smell like vinegar for 2 days! Cut the dill and place in the bottom of each jar. That is all my recipe says so you have to use your own judgement on the dill. However, I have found the dill bought in the store does not work as well as home grown. Then wash and slice cucumbers and pack in each jar as tight as you can.
While HOT, fill the jar to the bottom of the screw top. Put the lid on tight.
That is it. No water bath as the hot liquid will cause the seal. Wait for at least 3 weeks for it to cure before opening.

There you are, anybody can do it. My family loves them. I have not bought pickles in over a year!
No comments:
Post a Comment